I am a big snacker! When eating on a mainly vegan diet (with the exceptions listed above) I get hungry frequently. (I also think I have a naturally high metabolism). So I have put together a list of yummy, high iron, vegetarian snacks that are nut-free, and therefor safe to bring to schools, etc. (I certainly snack on nuts at home- some have high iron- especially cashews). I have paired the high iron food with a complementary high vitamin C food to go with it to increase iron absorption. I snack on these between meals to keep me going with my busy job and busy life at home.
SNACK LIST:
High Iron, High Vitamin C, Vegetarian, Nut-free
1. Shreddies cereal, with dark chocolate squares (90%) and an orange
2. Hummus and fresh veggies (peppers, yellow beans, carrots, broccoli)
3. Quinoa granola bars and strawberries
4. Roasted chickpeas (homemade or store bought) and red peppers
5. Black bean tapenade with brown rice cakes and broccoli
6. Power seed bars (chia, hemp, sunflower, pumpkin) and clementines
7. Bean bread (homemade whole wheat bread with mashed up navy beans or white kidney beans) and cherry tomatoes
8. Chia seed pudding with papaya
9. Sunflower seed butter (I prefer homemade) on whole wheat crackers and 1/2 grapefruit
10. Pea Protein Snacks and fresh pomegranate seeds and mixed berries (black berries, raspberries)
11. Trail mix (sunflower seeds*, pumpkin seeds, raisins, dried cranberries, dark chocolate chips, iron-fortified cereal such as Shreddies or Cheerios) with watermelon
12. Kale and Pineapple smoothie
13. Spinach and cherry smoothie
14. Oatmeal muffins with ground hemp and chia seeds and cantaloupe
15. Lentil-noodle pasta salad with broccoli and tomatoes
16. Lentil-apple salad, squeezed with lemon or lime
17. Kale chips (again homemade is best) and honeydew melon
* Make sure sunflower seeds are not made with peanut oil for this to be nut-free
**To check the fruits & veggies with High Vitamin C, I referred to:
http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/vitamin-c-in-fruits-and-vegetables
No comments:
Post a Comment