Monday, 10 October 2016

Investigating Symptoms

What are the symptoms of low iron/ iron deficiency?

Here's what I think my symptoms are:

1. Low energy
2. Pale lips
3. Hair loss (more than usual)
4. Migraine headaches before my period
5.  Feeling cold, cold hands
6.  Sometimes feeling dizzy/light headed, head rushes when I stand up too fast

Let's see if these are all actually symptoms of low iron.  Am I imagining things?

After some research:

Many of the symptoms I'm experiencing are yes, associated with low iron levels.

The Mayo Clinic lists the following as symptoms of iron deficiency:

  • Extreme fatigue
  • Pale skin
  • Weakness
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest pain
  • Frequent infections
  • Headache
  • Dizziness or lightheadedness
  • Cold hands and feet
  • Inflammation or soreness of your tongue
  • Brittle nails
  • Fast heartbeat
  • Unusual cravings for non-nutritive substances, such as ice, dirt or starch
  • Poor appetite, especially in infants and children with iron deficiency anemia
  • An uncomfortable tingling or crawling feeling in your legs (restless legs syndrome)
(http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/basics/symptoms/con-20019327, 10-10-2016)

I certainly don't have all of these symptoms... thank goodness.  Some of them seem pretty severe.  

Questions & Thoughts...

Well- I've always had pale skin- but rosy cheeks.  I've noticed that my lips are much paler now then they used to be.  I was wondering whether this was just due to age, but now I think it must be due to low iron.  I look at my children's juicy red lips and believe it to be a good sign that their iron is fine.  Is this why so many women wear lipstick?  Are they hiding pale lips under there?

I have just recently (within the last year) started getting regular migraines one week before my period.  These migraines aren't painful, I just feel constantly dizzy for 1-2 days.  I never used to experience migraines at all, but they have been creeping up on me for the last few years, only becoming regular about four to five months ago.  Amazingly, I've spoken to other women who also get migraines before periods come.  Perhaps it's just due to raging and changing hormones.  But part of me wonders whether it could be partly due to the low iron.  It makes sense.  Just before menstruation, the body and uterus are preparing to shed a lot of blood.  The blood has to come from somewhere.  As the body is losing blood to prepare for this process, the iron is being sucked away from the body- causing dizziness.  (This thought is just that - a thought- not research or fact).  It will be interesting to see whether the migraines go away once iron levels are brought back up. *

*Just learned that headaches can be a symptom of low iron. (http://www.healthline.com/health/iron-deficiency-anemia#Symptoms4, 10-10-2016).

*OMG- just read that yes- there is a connection between low iron and migraines! (http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=31&m=2163353, 10-10-2016). Wow.  
My fingernails are fine- long and strong- so that's a good sign.  No problems with my tongue or chest, regular heart beat. No unusual cravings.  I certainly have a good appetite. These are good signs!

Today's Menu:

Breakfast:
1/2 iron pill
1/2 vitamin C pill

Baby Oatmeal! (I had some in cupboard, VERY high iron content, nice subtle flavour).
Grapefruit
Peanut butter & whole wheat crackers
Liquid Chlorophyll

Snack:
Glass of soy milk
Clementines (2)

1/2 iron pill
1/2 vitamin C pill

Lunch:
Bean salad (kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils, navy beans)
Potato foccacia
Cherry tomatoes

1/2 iron pill
1/2 Vitamin C pill

Snack:
Strawberries
Pumpkin seeds 1/3 cup (WOW- these are high in iron)
Dark chocolate chips (mix with pumpkin seeds)
Liquid Chlorophyll

1/2 iron pill

Dinner:
Ancient Grains Mix: Quinoa, Amaranth & Millet served with roasted pine nuts, fresh blackberries and raspberries and a drizzle of maple syrup
Kale-Pineapple Juice

1/2 iron pill
1/2 vitamin C pill

Notes:

-I'm up to 2 1/2 iron pills a day (almost up to the 3/day that Dr. prescribed) and to my surprise, my tummy is not upset.  I'm giving credit to the vitamin C tablets I've been taking with my iron.

- I've been cutting my iron tablets in half and distributing them throughout my day based on the suggestion from the website: No-Meat Athlete (http://www.nomeatathlete.com/), that smaller doses of iron throughout the day are more easily absorbed than big amounts at one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment